Monday, July 9, 2012

Gingerbread Biscotti - SRC


It's time for another Secret Recipe Club post! This month, I was assigned to Isabelle's blog, Crumb. I was totally familiar with her blog having made her Chocolate Mint Crackle cookies before, which my sister and I devoured. So, I was thrilled to have the chance to officially make something from her blog for this month's SRC.


She had many tantalizing recipes on her site, but the one that caught my eye was for Gingerbread Biscotti. I simply love gingerbread and I'll take it in any form - cookie, cake, scones, ice cream - they're all delicious to me. It doesn't matter that it's not anywhere near Christmastime or that it's like 80 degrees outside. There's just something about that warm combination of spices that makes my tastebuds dance. But, for me, a little spice is just not enough. I need a LOT of spice to satisfy me.


Which makes this Gingerbread Biscotti perfect because it is packed with spices! It uses a whopping three tablespoons of ginger powder alone, not to mention the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice for a total of one whole quarter cup of spices. Now we're talking!




This biscotti did not disappoint one bit. The spicy flavor came through in every bite and it was the best gingerbread biscotti I have ever eaten. I drizzled mine with some dark chocolate and sprinkled on some chopped almonds, but you could also use white chocolate like Isabelle did.

Thanks Isabelle for one awesome recipe!

Gingerbread Biscotti (adapted from Crumb)

1/3 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp ground ginger
1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp each ground cloves and allspice
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup crystallised ginger, finely minced (I left this out)

dark chocolate, melted
chopped almonds

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a cookie sheet.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until mixture is smooth; add molasses and vanilla.

In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and spices; stir in the minced ginger. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until the dough begins to come together. Turn out dough onto a clean surface and knead gently until combined.

Divide dough in half and shape into two 12″ long rolls. Place the rolls on the prepared cookie sheet, and then pat each one down into a flat log, which should be roughly 3 inches wide and 3/4 inches thick, leaving at least 2 inches of space between the logs.

Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.

When cool enough to handle, place the logs on a cutting board and cut with a serrated knife held slightly at an angle into 3/4 inch wide slices.

Arrange the slices on the baking sheet, placing them cut side down, and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes per side or until crisp. Set on a wire rack to cool completely. If desired, drizzle biscotti with melted dark chocolate and sprinkle with chopped almonds.





8 comments:

  1. So glad you liked these biscotti! They've become an annual Christmas tradition at my house, so I'd feel a little weird to be baking them in the middle of a summer heatwave... but then again, I make pumpkin desserts year-round, so who am I to talk? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been craving biscotti, well, since we made it for TWD last week. But since then I tried two more recipes (my own), but they were both failures enough that I threw them away. I kept thinking, I really love gingerbread biscotti and almost talked myself in to making some. Well, here I go. This looks like just the thing. I don't care what time of year it is! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, lovely! I adore biscotti and i love it flavoured as gingerbread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Can't go wrong with gingerbread, even in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your biscotti look and sound wonderful, great SRC pick.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry Double Chocolate Mousse Cake

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, three tablespoons ginger--this sounds like a Christmas dream come true! They are so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm like you, gingerbread is a favorite! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always tend to add more spice than called for so your adaption sounds delicious. I LOVE gingerbread so I know I would really enjoy these.

    ReplyDelete