Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Bars (aka Pumpkin Brownies)

Would you like a slice?

No, it's not pumpkin pie. It's a pumpkin brownie!!!

I love all things pumpkin and love making all sorts of goodies with it. However, while many pumpkin recipes turned out delicious, the perfect pumpkin blondie/brownie still evaded me. Oh, I had tried to make them using one popular recipe, but they lacked both pumpkin flavor and spice and just didn't do it for me. Then, I saw this recipe for pumpkin pie bars on Brown Eyed Baker's blog. Soon after, I saw the same recipe on Steph's Bite by Bite blog. Well, I didn't need any more encouragement. I had to make these bars and try them for myself.

If you're looking for a pumpkin bar with the fudgy texture of a brownie and all the goodness of a pumpkin pie, THIS . . . IS . . . IT!!!


These bars are everything you dreamed about but never thought was possible. They are dense, moist and chewy, packed with the flavors of both pumpkin and spice, and they even have a slightly gooey, cinnamony, caramelized top.



I think I've died and gone to pumpkin heaven. A friend of mine made these on the very same day I did and said that they were excellent with cream cheese frosting. I'm thinking cinnamon cream cheese frosting might be a good idea too. But, any way you slice it, plain or frosted, these pumpkin pie bars/brownies will knock your socks off. What are you waiting for? Go and make a batch of these now. They're so worth it.

Pumpkin Pie Bars (or Pumpkin Brownies) - Brown Eyed Baker and Bite by Bite

2 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt (omit if using salted butter)
1 c. butter, melted
2 c. dark brown sugar (I used light brown)
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin

For the top:
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 9x13 pan and line with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on both sides.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and butter. Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined. Add the pumpkin and whisk until thoroughly combined. Add the flour mixture and, using a rubber spatula, gently stir or fold the flour into the pumpkin mixture until just combined.

Scrape the batter into the pan and smooth the top. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter. Bake for about 30 min., or until a thin knife inserted into the center has just a few moist crumbs on it. Cool completely and then, using the parchment as handles, lift out of the pan and cut into 24 squares. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.

(I had way too much fun taking pictures of these)

38 comments:

  1. Your description on these brownies make me wanna go into pumpkin heaven too!! YUMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds like a great seasonal variation on the brownie...and even better than pumpkin pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures! They sound awesome! You can never have enough pumpkin recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! These look so yummy.......love your description and great photo's. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like my daughter will have one more recipe to add to her book. I am dieting so I am not allowed to make such goodness, I have to live through her. It would really help if she wasn't 12 and still living at home, maybe then I wouldn't be tempted by her kitchen miracles LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so delicious and moist! Perfect for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these look amazing! I wish we could get canned pumpkin - would make life much easier when there are none in season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious! I love all the pictures...so fun! I bet these would be amazing with cream cheese frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, I bet that was delicious!
    Perfect for Halloween!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like a slice, please! Or maybe two! These are delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are incredible! I love your pictures of them too! We gave some away and by the end of the night wished we had kept them for ourselves hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the photos! And your pumpkin blondies sound delicious!! I've bookmarked them to try soon. Thank you for sharing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound and look to good to pass up. I must make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delicious! Must make these.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds interesting and yummy, must make them soon....

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've twisted my arm! I'm in! lol They do sound way to good to pass up.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to try these!!
    suchakingdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Me and pumpkin go way back, I'm going to have to try these they look awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A portable form of pie? Sign me up! These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those look incredibly moist. You know how much I love pumpkin.
    mickey

    ReplyDelete
  21. So uh I could KABOCHA!! for these I bet hunh? Love the moist deliciousness of these babies!


    Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday, it's nice to have you here!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've got to break open another can of pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  23. loving the twist, never heard of pumpkin brownie, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lisa! You are too cute with all your photo's of different slices of this yummy bar! I've been looking for a recipe along this description you have given...hooray I've found it!!! Many YUMMY Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look amazing. I am now a follower. I love anything pumpkin and can't wait to try these and the accidental bars. I just started a Holiday Recipe Exchange and would love for you to add these. I think I got the Linky Tools working right finally. http://www.foodfunandfotos.com/2010/10/holiday-recipe-exchange.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. The pictures are wonderful - I can tell the texture and moistness.... I just wish I could smell them! LOL!

    Thanks for linking to This Week's Cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I know I saw these yesterday and thought I commented - could just be losing my mind, lots going on lately! Anyway, thanks for linking these up for Tailgating Time this week Lisa, they looks scrumptious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. perfect! I love fall! :D

    Thanks for linking these up to Saturday's Party

    -Krystal @ recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. These wll be on my Thanksgiving menu right along side of my pumpkin roll cake.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am going to pick up a can of pumpkin tomorrow so I can make these!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I want some of these right now.. could you drop off a batch please? lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have a few cans of pumpkin I've been trying to use up... heading to the kitchen to try these out! They sound great! Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  33. These turned out really great... I love pumpkin all year round!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for sharing..=) I'm trying these today !

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank You for sharing.
    I am trying these today =)

    ReplyDelete